Saturday, November 03, 2007

Canton tales...

My buddy, Lisa, and I left for Canton in the wee hours. It's about an hour and a half from the Dallas area. We arrived at 8:00 just as the vendors began to stir. What a sight!! Endless stalls heaped, stacked and piled with wonders! We rolled our granny carts along and began the hunt. I had made a list of items I'd hoped to find... about 10 things, all for making art. As we started out on our quest I said, with my list in hand, "Okay, here's what I'm looking for. I'm putting it out there and I expect to be led to these things." Some of my items were a bit obscure, certainly not sure things to find even at the world's largest flea market. Even if everything I wanted was there, I could not be certain I'd find it in the sea of stuff.
All day we scrounged and dug. I am proud to say I stayed pretty close to my resolve to be focused and look for items to create with. A few things were irresistible and came home as personal treasures, but mostly I found wonderful supplies.
As the day (a most extraordinarily warm and beautiful day for November) wound down I realized that all but one item on my list had been found. I mentioned this to Lisa and we marveled at my good luck. Literally in the next breath we rounded a corner and there was the last item... vintage wallpaper!! Amazing! I do wish I'd added world peace and happiness to my list, but I was astonished nonetheless.


Vintage wallpaper border from Nebrask, purchased from a sweet Amish lady.

A bit of the ephemera I could not resist. This is my greatest weakness and looking for it so time consuming. I mostly bought lots of stuff that seemed interesting at a glance. My instincts led me to the right things. No junk, all delightful paper treasures!


$1.00 birds... these I must keep.



Kitschy Christmas!!! Hard to find cheap as the dealers certainly know how popular these items are... but on a back row found some super deals!


Pastel ornaments and a sweet pink divided dish.

Oh, such wonders~ rusty keys and junky jewels!

Bottles everywhere... the grubbier the better! Bliss!

So, the thing I really needed could not be found... TIME! oh, well... I will dig some up from somewhere. I am off to create and sort and share some of my finds. Keep an eye on my Etsy.


Dutch dolls, dominoes, a huge jar of game pieces, wooden shoes, saints, a dance card, cigar bands...

9 comments:

Flea Market Queen said...

I'm loving all your goods!
Holy cow, you scored...
I would be in heaven at Canton for sure!
Good for you...
Priscilla

Unknown said...

You found some great things!!! I was wanting to go to Canton this weekend but just couldn't find time! So glad you got to enjoy your Canton trip!!!

Alexandra said...

ohhh wow I love the little keys and bottles

Anonymous said...

OMG great finds. You`re a lucky girl!
Love the kitschy things and i`m a wallpaper junk!

Sweet Remembrance said...

You lucky girl...

Sea Dream Studio said...

Oh, wish you could all go with me! It is a spectacular place and quite an adventure. Only and hour and a half away. I'll be going again for sure!
Thanks all for your sweet comments!

Rose Garden Romantic said...

WOW!! Looks like that was one fabulous flea market!! Looks like you had a great time, too! Such fun finds!!
Michelle

Unknown said...

It all looks yummy! I need those bottles! Are you selling them?

Sea Dream Studio said...

I will be going to Third Monday Trade Days on Friday, so I hope to find more treasures. I will be sharing some of these items next week in my Etsy shop.
Thank you all for your kind words!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails